[mythtv-users] Stabalizing Firewire?

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Tue May 8 12:22:07 UTC 2007

I've noticed that firewire support is flaky at best.  But -- I still
need it for premium highdef channels.

So -- Does anyone have any ideas how to stabalize it?  I'm thinking
reboot it and my backend every once in a while.  But -- how can I tell
when the backend is idle?

I'm thinking of an algorithm something like this:

If it is between 2:00AM and 4:00AM
   And, there are no recordings scheduled in the next 15 minutes
then
   Turn off STB.
    Reboot
end

(Part of my mythbackend startup script turns the STB back on.)

The only other thing I can think of is to modify my turn-on script to
run firewire_tester to make sure we have ptp connectivity working.

So -- if the above algorithm is sound:
   How can I tell if there are recordings pending?  Play with SQL in the
script?

-Dave

--

David Frascone

                  A cat is always on the wrong side of a door.