[mythtv-users] MythV's mysql d/b - should it be UTF-8?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 8 21:41:15 UTC 2007

On 05/08/2007 03:42 PM, Jaakko Heikkilä wrote:
> On ti, 2007-05-08 at 09:30 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 05/08/2007 05:13 AM, Neil Bird wrote:
>>
>>>    Currently, the default seems to [still] be latin1 as the encoding, not
>>> utf-8.  This does make manual/scripted access a tad tricky when there are
>>> non-ASCII characters present.

>>> a) *Does* it make a difference?
>> Yes!!! Very much so.
>
> I noticed that if filesystem is using UTF-8 filenames at least MythMusic
> can not find files with some special characters. Is there any workaround
> for this problem? Except changing file names back to latin-1.

This doesn't mean Myth can't use UTF-8 data--only that there are many
areas in which encoding issues haven't been identified so they can be
fixed.  It's hard for developers who work mainly on a latin1-based
system to identify the issues, so those with different encodings should
be out making patches.  You've probably noticed that there are some
areas that do work, right?  All areas are supposed to work, so if they
don't they should be fixed.

Once you identify a location in which there's an encoding issue in SVN
trunk, create a patch to fix that issue.  If you need help figuring out
how to fix the issue, look through the code that doesn't exhibit issues
(i.e. find some area that works and compare it to the broken area).  You
can also post (specific) questions to -dev or just ask on #mythtv (just
make sure you're asking specific questions about how to properly change
the broken MythTV code--not questions about changing MySQL or writing
shell scripts to pull data out of the MySQL DB or ...).

Also, there's a very good chance that the MythMusic file name issue you
mentioned has been fixed in SVN trunk (although I can't tell you for
sure since I wouldn't notice the encoding issues on my systems).

Mike