[mythtv-users] New MythDora 4.0

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Wed May 9 02:41:57 UTC 2007

On May 08, 2007, at 21:50, Scott Blachowicz wrote:

> "Dennis Hand" <d00dtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The new and much improved MythDora 4.0 is finally ready. As you will
>> see, things have improved greatly. Jarod Wilson and I have worked
>> very
>> hard on this and I can safely say that this is the best version yet.
>> MythDora has undergone almost a total revamp. Things are in different
>> places and paths so be sure to read the changelog.
>>
>> http://g-ding.tv
>
> That sounds great! I've been meaning to update my KnoppMyth box
> (with an
> SVN build laid on top of it to get the storage groups stuff) for a
> while
> now. One thing I noticed on the website are these notes:
>
>     *** PVR-350 users that want to use TV-out will need to install the
>         ivtv_xdriver and video4linux packages during install.
>     *** PVR-x50/500 users may experience problems with ivtv if
> video4linux
>         is installed. Do not install this unless you have too.
>
> I was wondering what problems 500 users may experience?

We had at least one report that a PVR-500 behaved badly with the
combination of the ivtv driver and axel's latest video4linux bits
installed at the same time. That combo works fine with my PVR-250
though, and the 350 should work sans output as a recording device w/o
the video4linux bits installed.

> My current setup
> has a 350 card driving my SDTV using X/tvout and my extra tuner
> card is a
> 500. I'd been thinking of changing to using an nVidia output to
> improved
> stability (would it?). My motherboard is an ABIT NF-M2 nView (which
> claims
> nVidia 6150 onboard) and a PCI-E nVidia 6200 card, so whichever of
> those I
> can get to work...

I'm definitely more partial to an nvidia card for output.

> The rest of the system includes a 40GB boot drive plus a 300GB & a
> 400GB
> drive to use for content storage (which I've currently got my storage
> groups setup to use both of). I'm thinking of doing something like
> this:
>
> 1) Make sure all of my myth content stuff is on my 2 big drives.
> 2) Make backup copies of /etc (and others) to my 2 big drives.
> 3) Replace my 40GB boot drive with a different drive I've got
> laying around.
> 4) Install MythDora 4.0 on that replacement boot drive.
> 5) Figure out how to get my existing myth content & db hooked into
> the new
>    MythDora 4.0 install. (and do it :))
>
> Anyways - if anyone has any suggestions for approaches to take, I'd
> appreciate it!

Really not much to it. Put recordings and a database backup on the
big drives, install on the replacement drive, drop database into /var/
lib/mysql/, bounce mysqld and mythbackend, and you should be pretty
much good to go.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com