[mythtv-users] I may have SOLVED the 5C cable encryption problem for MythTV users!

Joe Borne joe.borne at gmail.com
Wed May 9 14:41:33 UTC 2007

If you have an STB that has component out and audio line out on it (most
motorola units do)
, then I have found a solution to the problem of 5C encrypted channels.
Perfectly legal too.

This device here -> PYRO A /V
Link<http://www.adstech.com/products/API-558-EFS/intro/API-558_intro.asp?pid=API-558-EFS>

Only $179

Can convert Component Video (The Y Pb Pr) stuff straight to DV
(firewire/ieee1394). It can also pass through the audio (in stereo at
least).

SOOOO - you can connect your cable STB to your MythBox (provided it has
Component Video Out) by having this in between and retain the HD content and
at least have stereo sound. Sorry no surround, anyone solves that let me
know. The best part is that the signal is post-decryption, so you get HD
without 5C limitations.