[mythtv-users] Analog and Digital Cable Confusion (HDHR, etc)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 9 15:34:39 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> Movie and TV studios feel that if you're able to record high-quality
> video, there would be no more reason to buy their DVD's, BluRay and
> HD-DVD discs. You can also easily replicate the movies so no one has
> to go out and buy them. Cable providers couldn't care less if you're
> recording The Sopranos and not buying the DVD's. HBO gets upset about
> it, though. Those companies are the ones that provide cable providers
> with the most income so their voice is loudest telling them "If you
> don't encrypt our movie channels to prevent recording, we're pulling
> our station and everyone will go with another provider."

I couldn't have put it better myself. They said the same thing about
VCRs 30 years ago, and I notice that people still buy movies, on
whatever format.

The H'Wood types just never seem to learn. If they would put just 10% of
the effort they put into protecting their precious content into actually
producing something *worth* stealing, we'd all be a lot better off,
H'Wood types included.