[mythtv-users] Analog and Digital Cable Confusion (HDHR, etc)

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed May 9 21:34:32 UTC 2007

jason maxwell wrote:

>> Consider yourself very lucky.  I have a DCT-6200 connected via firewire
>> as
>> well....can't receive anything at all over it - all the firewire
>> connection is good for is that allows Myth to change channels on the
>> cable
>> box.  It was working fine until early January, when @#$%^! Time Warner
>> Cable encrypted everything.  The only way I can record anything from the
>> cable box now is via its s-video output.  Hopefully your cable provider
>> won't pull the rug out from under you in similar fashion.
>
> I'm curious: what exactly are the cable companies trying to protect
> against by encrypting the digital channels? Would it be so bad to
> allow people to actually watch what they are paying for? Are they
> really making that much money on STB rentals? I for one would be happy
> to pay for premium channels if they were easy to watch thru my Myth
> box.
> -J

I have wondered the same thing.  Since I can record using my tuner cards,
and the firewire output was identical to what was coming over the raw
cable, it's not like I was getting anything I didn't have access to
anyway.

It would be really nice if I could get the higher-tier HD cable channels
via Firewire (which I *do* pay for) which I don't get via the raw cable.
Right now, the best I can do is record them via s-video....sucks.

The *only* reason I can think of that they're doing this is to try and
push me into renting their crappy DVR for an extra $10-15 per month (which
I won't do)...and/or they're trying to cover their @$$es with regard to
the DRM issues...d forbid that you record a movie from a channel that you
pay for anyway.  The content companies don't want to allow you to do THAT,
either.

Bob