[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

Todd Ferris tferris at gmail.com
Thu May 10 04:13:48 UTC 2007

On 5/6/07, stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:

> Brad Templeton wrote:
> Galaxy 3500 IPTV>
>
> > While having these as media players would be cool, you would lose out
> > on much of a myth box -- navigation, commercial skip, various OSD
> controls,
> > audio speedup etc.
> >
> > So it seems it would be very smart for these vendors to sponsor porting
> > of Mythfrontend to their boxes.   They would sell a lot of boxes.  I
> would
> > buy one -- simply because I expect they're low power and would save me
> > a lot of money.
>
> When I started this thread I was thinking the same.  I would still like
> to see the MythTV front end emulated on such boxes but I am no longer
> sure it is necessary for complete control of the MythTV back end.  I was
> looking over some developer notes in the MythTV's UPnP wiki page.
> Specifically, I was looking at what is known as UPnP Remote UI.  From my
>   limited understanding, I believe the server can send something called
> a CE-HTML web like page to the client.  (There's a short explanation of
> this feature in the wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play)  Using this you
> can emulate the look of, say, mythweb on a UPnP Remote enabled client.
> It sounds like this would make it easy to support features like
> scheduling, searches and deletions.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> But, as enticing as this appears.  I still do not understand how more
> interactive features such as editing or 30 seconds skip can be
> accomplished.
>
> Any ideas?

I may not have a complete understanding of the Syabas middleware, but from
looking at the Wizd (http://wizd.sourceforge.net/) project I think this
project could be a potential huge win for mythtv.

Wizd is an open-source project that provides a replacement media server for
Syabas based media players (e.g. I-O Data LinkPlayer, Buffalo LinkTheater,
etc.)  It appears they have reverse engineered the control protocol for
these systems and can now display their own menus and provide custom
behavior (within the limits of the players firmware)

Searching the forums, someone already has created a commercial skip patch
that sends mythtv commercial break markers as chapters to the player (
http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4049664)

It seems that if we got an active developer group together to create a
mythtvfrontend branch for Wizd we would suddenly have a light mythfrontend
(but heavier than upnp) available for a large selection of mediaplayers.
This could be very similar to the Myth python script for XBMC(
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmythtv/).  While it is not the full
frontend, it does have extensive features.(
http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=128346)

I would happy to join in on the development, but don't have the skills to
tackle this alone (my C is very rusty, and I was never known for elegant
design)

Any takers?

Todd