[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

Todd Ferris tferris at gmail.com
Thu May 10 04:48:21 UTC 2007

On 5/9/07, Todd Ferris <tferris at gmail.com> wrote

> I may not have a complete understanding of the Syabas middleware, but from
> looking at the Wizd ( http://wizd.sourceforge.net/) project I think this
> project could be a potential huge win for mythtv.
>
> Wizd is an open-source project that provides a replacement media server
> for Syabas based media players ( e.g. I-O Data LinkPlayer, Buffalo
> LinkTheater, etc.)  It appears they have reverse engineered the control
> protocol for these systems and can now display their own menus and provide
> custom behavior (within the limits of the players firmware)
>
> Searching the forums, someone already has created a commercial skip patch
> that sends mythtv commercial break markers as chapters to the player (http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4049664
> )
>
> It seems that if we got an active developer group together to create a
> mythtvfrontend branch for Wizd we would suddenly have a light mythfrontend
> (but heavier than upnp) available for a large selection of mediaplayers.
> This could be very similar to the Myth python script for XBMC(
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmythtv/).  While it is not the full
> frontend, it does have extensive features.(http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=128346
> )
>
> I would happy to join in on the development, but don't have the skills to
> tackle this alone (my C is very rusty, and I was never known for elegant
> design)
>
> Any takers?
>
> Todd

After doing a little more research I think the SwissCenter project (
http://www.swisscenter.co.uk/)  might be even an even better platform for
creating a mediaplayer based mythtvfrontend.  The whole thing is implemented
in PHP and is already backed by a mysql db.   I could see just branching
this off and just creating a full mythtv focused project.

Anyone have experience with SwissCenter?  (I might just have to buy one of
these mediaplayers to mess around with!)

Todd