[mythtv-users] Intel 965GM or 512MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 120M for Front End?

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Thu May 10 06:04:22 UTC 2007

I orderd a Thinkpad T60p, but they just changed the ship date another
*MONTH* out.I am *NOT* putting up with that.  I'm currently comparing
the Dell Latitude D820 and the brand spankin new D830, with the new
Santa Rosa chipset.  The D620 has the NVidia Quadro, and the D630 has
the Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

This laptop will be a front end, but it's also a desktop replacement I
do all my work (software development/emai/web/etc) on.  I do NOT play
games in general.

Supposedly the Intel is the better graphics card, but I keep seeing "buy
Nvidia!!!" here to get better performance and extra features under
Linux.  You can see a comparison of the laptops here:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/latit?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

What exactly does sticking with NVidia get you?

Is it worth getting a supposedly lower card to get the Nvidia chipset?

Please advise.  Thanks.