[mythtv-users] Using with a TV

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu May 10 08:02:18 UTC 2007

> I'm really disappointed at this point - I was hoping for quality very
> close to that of the cable source, and would appreciate any pointers to
> adjustments I could try.

Not sure if this will help, but a couple of things to think about:

1)  How are you capturing your signal?  If it's an analog card then
you could change the capture parameters.  Don't set the resolution too
high, 800x600 is probably reasonable for Standard Definition, and
experiment with higher bitrates.  Also Google for your capture card
type and see if there are any ivtv or v4l ctrl commands that have been
known to improve things.

2)  What resolution are you outputting at?  Your graphics card should
always output a sane S-Video signal, but you may find that changing
the output resolution has some effect.  There's no point in setting
the resolution too high if you're using S-Video, either 800x600 or
your native TV resolution (720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL)) should be
reasonable.

For what it's worth, when I was using analog cards, mythtv playback
was indistinguishable from the source signal, except for fast moving
scenes. That was on a much smaller CRT though (28").

HTH