[mythtv-users] Playing video over LAN via Samba too fast?

Ron Scott ronnie.scott at gmail.com
Thu May 10 15:01:21 UTC 2007

I know this isn't a mythtv specific question but it came up while
trying to play recordings from myth over my LAN to other PC's.

I am recording video on 2 PVR 150s via mythtv 0.20 on Ubunto Linux Edgy.

I have run the script used to rename my myth recordings made from my PVR150's.

I am accessing these on a SAMBA share setup on my Backend Server, via
my local LAN (10/100) and 802.11g wireless LAN.

When I play the video via both VLC and WM11, WM10 on my windows XP and
Vista machines I get choppy video, the audio plays really fast (like
mickeymouse talking).  If I take the same video file and copy it to
one of my windows machines and share it across the network and play it
remotely it works fine.

I have one machine that I have tweeked and tweeked (older machine with
WM10) and it will play the video over the LAN from the myth backend
server fine.  This is the only windows box that will... but like I
said I have tweeked the hell out of it and can't understand what I may
have done to make it work.

I am wondering if it could be some buffer settings on the Client? or
is it possibly a setting on the Backend SAMBA config that could be
sending the packets too fast?

Has anyone seen anything like this before?