[mythtv-users] Can't get lirc working with SVN

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Fri May 11 12:46:21 UTC 2007

On 5/10/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/10/2007 08:52 PM, Bill Omer wrote:
> > I've compiled the latest svn on Ubuntu 6.10 and even though lirc
> > support was enabled during the build, I still can not seem to get it
> > to work on this frontend machine.
> >
> > I've verified that lirc is working with irw.  I can press buttons and
> > see the codes.  I can also hit the button I have mapped to an irexec
> > event, and it works just fine.  But when mythfrontend is running, I
> > can hit any number of keys and nothing happens.  Since the irexec even
> > works, this tells me that the .lircrc file is being parsed correctly.
> >
> > I'm using the same .lircrc and lircd.conf files that I'm using on
> > other frontends with streamzap remotes.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas I could try?
>
> Verify that when you compiled SVN trunk you enabled native LIRC
> support.  Note that this doesn't mean, "verify you said to enable native
> LIRC support with --enable-lirc."  It means to verify that it was
> actually enabled (i.e. able to find the required libs/headers).  Look at
> the output of the configure script (and "mythfrontend --version" and
> "ldd /path/to/mythfrontend").
>
> Mike

mythfrontend --version shows lirc:

Network Protocol Version: 34
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_xvmcw using_v4l using_oss using_ivtv using_dbox2
using_hdhr using_iptv using_live using_lirc using_joystick_menu
using_x11 using_xv using_xrandr using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld
using_frontend using_backend using_bindings_perl

ldd shows:
bomer at shuttle:~$ ldd /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend  | grep lirc
        liblirc_client.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/liblirc_client.so.0 (0xb5e3e000)

bomer at shuttle:~$ ls  -l /usr/local/lib/liblirc_client.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2007-05-10 20:26
/usr/local/lib/liblirc_client.so.0 -> liblirc_client.so.0.2.0

At first, I saw from ldd that it was pointing to /usr/lib instead of
/usr/local, so this may have been originally caused by me having the
lirc debian package installed.   I've since compiled from source for
lirc and removed the lirc package.

I reconfgiured and built myth again from source and got the above
outputs.  I'm still having the same results.

-BIll