[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

Todd Ferris tferris at gmail.com
Sat May 12 03:56:56 UTC 2007

On 5/11/07, stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the slow 4 day turn around.  I just started considering mythtv
> development and re-did some of my myth e-mail filters.
>
> Time (and trying to do many thing (it's all good)) is eating at me as
> well.  I still haven't been able to cobbled together a SVN version of
> mythtv.
>
> So, my hopes that UPnP Remote was in wide spread use are not true?  That
> is, the protocol WizD implements is just a special Sigma Designs /
> Syabas protocol.
>
> It looks like SwissCenter is another Sigma Design specific server, just
> like WizD.  I have only tried WizD so I can't compare.  If by PHP you
> mean Python - well, I'm not much of a Python developer.
>
> In general, you are interested in adding support (programming) to the
> MythTV back end to support Sigma Design based "media extenders" or "thin
> clients", do I have that right?  Just checking.
>
> ...thanks

I know about the lack of time.  I am still running a .19 SVN despite having
a HDHR waiting for me to compile a newer SVN.

I really can't answer the UPnP remote protocol question...  From my quick
look at WizD and SwissCenter, it *looks* like they use a custom control API
to communicate with the mediaplayer.

My suggestion (again, only based my limited looking at WizD and SwissCenter)
is that it appears either of these solutions could be customized so that
they run on and interact directly with your mythbackend.  They would then
produce a myth specific UI on the mediaplayer.

I see a few ways to accomplish this. 1) a standalone component that
interacts with mythconverg mysql database and directly reads video from the
filesystem and streams it to the mediaplayer.  2) a standalone component
that interacts with the mythbackend via the control protocol and behaves
just like a mythfrontend, potentially with the backend streaming the data to
the mediaplayer. 3) integrate the project into myth so that a mythbackend
directly supports the mediaplayer.

It would seem that #1 would be a quick way to determine feasibility and
interest in the project.  There are several other projects that already
"leech" from the mythdatabase and allow direct viewing, which could be a
good starting point.

I am going to checkout the SwissCenter SVN and start looking through it.  I
don't have a compatible mediaplayer, anyone interested in testing?

Thanks
Todd