[mythtv-users] Nvidia 6150 onboard video

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sun May 13 16:08:52 UTC 2007

Elanor wrote:
> I'm trying to find hardware to build an HTPC which I plan on using as a
> combined Myth Frontend/Backend that will live in my living room. I've
> been looking at motherboards and was under the impression that most
> onboard video chipsets *didn't* behave with linux so I've been avoiding
> them. Last night, I came across this board:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186086
>
> I read somewhere that Myth doesn't work with PCIe video cards (for
> tv-out) so I've been looking for AGP + PCI motherboards. This one,
> however has tv-out with the onboard video.
>
> A quick google search for "foxconn 6150 mythtv" revealed some posts from
> 2005 saying that the drivers aren't currently supported in linux. I also
> found some posts from this forum in early 2007 that say its ok to use it
> possibly. I'm confused.
>
> Is this still the case? I will be using Ubuntu Feisty and Mythtv.

The proprietary NVIDIA drivers have support for the 6150. In fact, my
preferred MythTV frontend configuration uses the onboard NVIDIA 6150.

The proprietary NVIDIA drivers continually add support for new hardware.
Some time ago the support for the 6150 was poor. However, that is not
the case anymore.