[mythtv-users] Tearing when NOT using XV Texture Sync

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Sun May 13 22:36:44 UTC 2007

HI!

I had a tearfree setup for playing SDTV (4:3 and 16:9 anamorph) using
FX5200 and 800x600p, OpenGL Sync on in MythTV and nvidia-settings
(NVidia driver 9755).

Then I upgraded to NVidia 7600GS and 1920x1080p (still viewing only
SDTV). Suddenly, I had a little tearing (upper 3% of the screen or so),
but only with 16:9 recordings.

Playing with nvidia-setings, I discoved, that enabling XV Sync to
Texture got rid of the tearing, but CPU usage went up by 10% (35% to 45%).

Then I enabled UseEvents option in xorg.conf and CPU usage is back to
normal.

Anyone else seeing this? Shouldn't OpenGL Sync be enough for tearfree
playing? Why does XV Sync to Texture help? Any known disadvantages of this?

Thanks!

Thomas