[mythtv-users] Choppy playback with PVR350 on Fedora Core 6

Jeff Fisher mythtv-users at thefishers.ca
Tue May 15 14:10:11 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I currently have a machine running Fedora Core 5 w/ a PVR-350 and I'm
having absolutely no problems with it when it comes to recording or
playing back those recordings; however, the machine I setup for a friend
is a totally different story. His machine is a similar hardware
configuration to mine but instead of running Fedora Core 5, I decided to
use Fedora Core 6. Basically, when watching live tv or watching a
recording, the video is choppy and we did some testing to determine
where the problem is and it seems to be when it is actually recording
the show.

We recorded an episode of Law & Order and I copied it from the myth box
to my computer and used mplayer to play it back and the playback was
choppy just like when watched through mythfrontend. While myth is
recording I have checked CPU usage, memory usage, I/O numbers, etc.. and
everything looks to be fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we should try to resolve
this or even try to just figure out what is causing the problem? I'm
tempted to redo his machine and put Fedora Core 5 on it to see if that
helps but that doesn't seem like a very good long-term solution :)

Here are some version numbers (myth was installed by following the
Fedora Myth Howto):

ivtv-0.10.1-126
mythtv-0.20.1-156
kernel-2.6.20-1.2944