[mythtv-users] YA Frontend recommendations thread

Jack Madison jack at webhouse.cc
Tue May 15 17:01:29 UTC 2007

First, sorry for bringing up a topic that seems to come up a lot, but it
just doesn't seem to be answered for what I'm looking for.  If I missed
it, go ahead and e-slap me (and point me to the answer).

I am looking for a FE only box.  RCA, s-video or component out (all my
old HDTV has).  SPDIF or any other way to get 5.1 or better surround
sound.  Something that looks like it belongs with the TV and is
reasonably quiet.  Enough power for SD only.  Under $300 (I'll
eventually have ~5 of them).  True MythTV front end.

No xbox solutions, I've tried them and am not happy.  I'd rather not
have a Mac solution either.

Preference would be for new (cheap-o or build it myself), but I'm not
against used e-bay solution.

I've seen a lot of "this should work" stuff, and some other posts
describing things that sorta work, or have issues (ie the MSI's 6150
board thread) so any first hand "I did this and it works great" replies
are welcomed.