[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: Any unencrypted QAM on Comcast in south King County, WA?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu May 17 01:29:44 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007 19:04:39 David Brodbeck wrote:
> On May 16, 2007, at 3:52 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 May 2007 16:37:07 David Brodbeck wrote:
> >> So, I'm looking to replace my secondary tuner, which recently stopped
> >> recording sound.  I'm starting to ponder HDTV.  I'm too far out in
> >> the fringe to realistically expect OTA reception,
> >
> > Are you sure? I was able to get everything OTA in Maple Valley ~4
> > years ago. :)
>
> I live in Auburn, down in the Green River valley.  I also live in an
> apartment, which means no outdoor antennas.  antennaweb.org says I
> need an antenna in the "violet" category to receive anything, which
> would mean a large multi-element outdoor antenna.

Yeah, shoulda mentioned that I did indeed have to put up a 12' (iirc)
directional with a preamp up on my roof to be able to get all that, but Maple
Valley is also, uh, in a valley, and about as far away from Queen Anne as
Auburn... (I did have the house thing going for me over an apartment though).

Of course, given that I already had cable, I jumped all over the first
QAM-capable capture cards, and did indeed prefer that route for capture over
OTA (signals OTA weren't always perfect).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com