[mythtv-users] MythTV as a DVD player

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Fri May 18 02:13:00 UTC 2007

On 5/17/07, David Rees <drees76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > - Recently, more and more dvds don't play properly.  I chalk this up
> > to Arccos protection or some other "anti-piracy" scheme in use by the
> > studios.  Either the movie doesn't start, or it just freezes halfway
> > through.  I've had to resort to my PS2 for playback, which doesn't
> > have the surround sound hooked up to it and it just sucks to have to
> > resort back to stereo sound.
>
> Looks like 2 of your issues are the same as mine. I wonder if the DVD
> playback issues you're seeing are the same as mine? I just updated the
> firmware on my player last night, waiting for another Netflix movie to
> come through so I can see if it works better or not.
>
> -Dave

Well, I figured out tonight there's at least another symptom/cause.  I
still think movies that won't start at all are likely Arccos or
something similar, but I was watching a movie tonight and it froze on
two occasions -- bringing down mythfrontend with it -- and once was
during realtime mythcommflag'ing, and the other was exactly at 9pm
when a recording ended.  In other words, both situations that hit the
database (I think), and for that matter mythcommflag was also using
75% of cpu.  It's ironic because I already did the performance tuning
for mysq (in /etc/my.cnf), and that fixed the LiveTV freezes I used to
have.  It seems like now I'm seeing the same thing wiith mythDVD.  I
may play around with mysql more when I have time and I'll report back
if I find any improvements.