[mythtv-users] Audio Sync problem -- need help

Craig Huff huffcs at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 23:17:56 UTC 2007

John,

Thanks again!  I got the script and will give it a whirl.

Now that I'm at home, I was looking at my mythbackend.log file and see that there are occasional entries like these during recording times:

2007-05-17 22:31:06.766 TFW, Error: Write() -- IOBOUND begin cnt(2048) free(1091)
2007-05-17 22:31:07.185 TFW, Error: Write() -- IOBOUND end

As a first action, I am changing my backend settings to disable the option "Start Auto-Commercial Flagging jobs when the recording starts".

Can you (or anyone else reading this) advise me, given the configuration info below, what I need to do to eliminate the I/O bounding?

Athlon 64 3200+ (2GHz?) on an ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard running 2.6.20-1.2944_1.fc6 with Suspend2 installed and configured
512 MB RAM (DDR 333 / PC2700)
WD 250GB PATA HD
(partitioned with separate slices for /, /var, swap, /boot, and /video with
root, /var, and /boot formatted ext3 with journals, and /video configured as an LVM volume with ext3 and journal)
PVR-350
PVR-500
GE Force 7300GS PCIe w/ TV-Out using nvidia-graphics9755 driver
AHA-2940 Adaptec SCSI PCI adapter (for SCSI tape backup)
DVD+/-RW drive
IOMEGA 250MB Zip drive

In particular, do I need or would I benefit from more RAM?
Am I likely hitting a disk I/O throughput limit and will replacing the PATA drive with an SATA drive make much difference?  Do I need to consider using the motherboard-supported SATA RAID and mirror a couple of SATA drives?  Avoid the hardware RAID and configure software RAID?

What should I look at to determine the source of the IOBOUND issue?

Craig Huff

____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.