[mythtv-users] remote control only returns arrows, OK and numbers

Håkon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Fri May 18 23:39:57 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 18/05/07, jorcas69 at telefonica.net <jorcas69 at telefonica.net> wrote:
>
>> hi all,
>>
>> I have MythTV 0.20 (that comes with MythDora 4) and all works quite fine
>> except the remote control
>>
>> I have a Hauppage HVR-1110 with the grey remote (with color button in line at
>> the bottom) and
>> I only get from the remote control the arrows (up,down,left,rigth) the OK and
>> number keys
>>
>> mode2 returns nothing (but numbers or cursor movements are sent to sdtout), I
>> also try irw without luck
>>

> The remote is likely using /dev/input after ivtv is loaded and has
> initialised IR, but LIRC is not currently configured to use this
> device. If this is the case, you should make sure lircd is started
> with the correct /dev/input device.

I'm running gentoo, and I have a working remote with the HVR1110.

You want inputlircd, not the regular lircd. You want the ir_kbd_i2c
kernel module (possibly auto-loaded by the saa7134, possibly requiring
the option "  i2c_scan=1 " in /etc/modules.conf. Check ps and lsmod to
see if you maybe don't have to do anything to get this far.

You want a suitable udev rule to make your remote get a consistent name
each time you boot. I've got :
KERNEL=="event*",ATTRS{name}=="HVR 1110", SYMLINK+="remotectl0"

The above rule gets run and works, and possibly needs to be loaded after
or before something else.

Sorry about the vague instructions, but I figure a clue is better than
total information blackout.