[mythtv-users] Building a MythTV Box

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 03:47:52 UTC 2007

Couple of comments.

For hd's I always recommend segate, ide or sata won't matter much.

For size it completely depends on HD or Low Def.  If you are recording
HD materal you can expect 6-7 gig of space per recording
(non-transcoded).  For lo def you are looking at about a gig an hour
give or take.  I started w/ a 300 gig drive and ended up adding to the
system within about 6 months (we don't watch that much).

For cards, hauppauge is awesome for lo def recording, I recommend the
pchdt5500 for high def.

For graphics anything nvidia 5200 and up should work, and even hd
won't use more than a 5200.  Save yourself a headache and make sure to
use an nvidia card for graphics.