[mythtv-users] vga2scart interlacing on UK Channel 4

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon May 21 11:24:20 UTC 2007

Tom Hughes wrote:
> In message <89257e3b0705201515j65a3474eu335b80f20f375c21 at mail.gmail.com>
>         nospam312 at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I have posted as much detail as I know how to get here but I do not
>> think its a backtrace?
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/269444#269444
>>
>> It is looking like UK users are not able to use MythTV anymore due to
>> this problem - it is virtually a quarter of the channels crashing the
>> backend.
>
> No problems here - my backend isn't crashing at all.
>
> Tom

Been following the above thread with interest. Am in the UK, but have
seen none of the above effects. Yes, my setup's not perfect, but I don't
have problems on certain muxes such as are described.

Couple of thoughts. First, is this problem restricted to one or a small
number of transmitters? It may be that the particular multiplex has less
signal strength/more channels crammed in/other engineering reason.

Second, if the problem is not area-sensitive, are the affected users
using good quality digital-certified aerials? Some of the older designs
were tailored to the specific analog channels assigned to the selected
transmitter, which is why channel5(analog) reception can be so bad
(nearest available slot for it was out of band for the aerial to
handle). These older aerials may not be suitable for digital viewing
under all conditions.

Thirdly, any vegetation in the way between you and the mast? I have a
band of trees behind my house between me and Hannington. I have noticed
that the signal strength has gone down as the leaves have come out -
still acceptable, but we get a few more artifacts now (the bloody
woodpigeons jumping up and down on the aerial don't help, either!). May
explain why this has arisen recently and did not happen previously.

Mike Perkins