[mythtv-users] Fujitsu's H.264 chip encodes/decodes in Full HD -- a world's first

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Mon May 21 14:47:59 UTC 2007

Sorry for the unorthodox post, however this just caught my eye!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/21/fujitsus-h-264-chip-encodes-decodes-in-full-hd-a-worlds-fir/

Text from article: Fujitsu just announced a world's first H.264 chip capable
of encoding/decoding 1920 x 1080 (60i/50i) video in real time. The chip
features 256MB of onboard FCRAM and ultra low 750mW power draw when encoding
video. That means lickity quick, MPEG-2 quality processing with only a
third, or half the required storage. The ¥30,000 ($247) MB86H51 chip is
available to OEMs starting July 1st after which you'll find it bunged into
the latest up-scale, consumer-class video recorders.

Now someone just needs to create a USB interface, and with a little MythTV
coding, I'm sure we could get hardware h.264 playback and encoding. Could be
useful for us UK guys in the future (out HD is h.264). $247 is quite steep
though, and it can only process one stream at a time, however for encoding
(at least), it could dramatically decrease the time taken to transcode to
h.264, as well as the storage required.

Just raising people's awarness...

James Buckley