[mythtv-users] deinterlacing and non-smooth playback at 1080i

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Tue May 22 18:23:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 07:05:08PM +0100, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 03:42:33PM +0100, Mark Kendall wrote:
> > > On 5/22/07, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> > > FWIW, I'm using driver version 8776 on that frontend at the moment. I
> > > think I had problems with interlaced modelines on the newer drivers.
> >
> > I tried 8776 some time ago but I remember that it had issues with XV
> > over DVI.  I'm using a DVI cable to connect to my TV.  I tried going
> > back to 8776 sometime later but found I couldn't get the 8776 driver to
> > compile with any recent kernel that I had ('recent' meaning 2.6.17 or
> > greater).  My understanding is that the 8xxx series had perfectly good
> > interlaced support, but that it broke once the 9xxx series came out.
> > So, if I want to use DVI, my choice is either use 8xxx and get immediate
> > lockups when XV is used, or use 9xxx which at least doesn't lockup, but
> > I can't get 1080i to work properly.  FWIW, I bought a second nvidia card
> > with composite out.  With the 9xxx and 100.14.xx drivers it exhibited
> > the same problem as I'm seeing with DVI.  I'm currently using the
> > 100.14.06 driver (which I installed late last night).
>
> I just tried 100.04.06 and couldn't get a proper interlaced output -
> reverts to the all too familiar line doubled output.

I'd expect it not to work.  All the evidence I've gathered from reading
nvnews has led me to believe that the nvidia driver (since at least the
9xxx version) is broken for 1080i output with a 1080i source.  Hey, I
hope I'm wrong and you can tell me what the heck is going on.

> This will probably sound like a really stupid question - but are you
> sure your tv is displaying at 1080i? Can you post your full xorg.conf
> and the xorg.0.log.

Sure I'm sure. :o)  I have a number of devices that require a switch
(generally on the back of the device) to be set to 1080i/720p/480p/480i.
If you get it wrong it doesn't work.  And you can tell when it's set at
1080i.  When I watch a station that broadcasts at 1080i and I'm using my
Saumsung OTA receiver it looks wonderful.  When I'm using Myth it looks
less wonderful b/c I'm watching it at 720p and the scaled down 1080i
doesn't look nearly so good (if I set the same receiver to 720p I get the
same 'scaled down' shimmering and jagginess etc... that I get with myth).

xorg.conf:
http://sethd.org/myth/xorg.conf.dvi

Xorg.0.log:
http://sethd.org/myth/Xorg.0.log