[mythtv-users] deinterlacing and non-smooth playback at 1080i

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Wed May 23 08:04:26 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, James Buckley <xanium4332 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > When you say 'beefier gpu' what kinda performance card are we talking
> about. Would a NVidia 7600 do, or the new Intel GMA X3000. Some new intel
> boards are gonna be coming out with integrated hdmi out (powered by an intel
> gpu, acclaiming DirectX 10 compatability (not that I care about that, just
> the performance)). Don't know whether it is just a modified X3000, or
> actually a new chip altogether. It's the 'bearlake' chipset (review of one
> of the non hdmi boards here:
> http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/22/intels-p35-bearlake-chipset-gets-benchmarked-reviewed/
> ).
> >
> > Hopefully the boards will have good linux support, including the graphics,
> which means that 1080i over 1080i DVI/HDMI will actually be possible, and if
> the gpu is powerful enough full opengl playback may be possible.
>
> Just to add to my email above, for example is there a card available that
> could handle 1080i with BOB deinterlacing using the opengl renderer. Also,
> what limits do you think a 7600GT could handle (resolution, deinterlacing
> methods). If yu don't know no problems, just you are the first person I know
> who's actually used it.
>
> Also, using the opengl renderer (which I like the look of). Is is possible
> to playback (ignoring current performance limitations) interlaced material
> over an interlaced connection properly (e.g. 1080i on 1080i), is it actually
> capable of syncing to the right phase ( i.e. even w/ even, and odd w/ odd)?
>
> Sorry for all the questions, just I'm deeply interested in the opengl
> rendering (the benefits look good, and not many negatives apart from card
> requirements).
>
> Thanks in advance, James

James

I'm using a 7600GS. This copes with pretty much anything I throw at it
up to 720p display size and source (i.e. all hardware deinterlacers,
full size osd etc). At 1080i it struggles with hardware deinterlacing
- not sure whether software bob will work.

1080i display/source without deinterlacing is pretty good and it will
sync with the display with patches applied. I still can't get it to
sync 100% of the time though and still need to stop/restart and hope
it picks up the correct timing.

You've got the card to test it to the full - so give it a go!

Regards

Mark