[mythtv-users] Recording storage suggestions

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Wed May 23 18:40:25 UTC 2007

On 23/05/07, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:

> As expected, we maxed out the usage of our 160GB drive for recordings.
> So, I started looking in to options in order to expand it.
>
> I looked at :
> 1. dropping in another internal IDE 160GB drive (that I already have)
> and adding it to the LVM (aka: no expense)
> 2. buying a big fat internal drive and replacing the internal 160GB
> drive (~$100 internal IDE or SATA)
> 3. buying a big fat external drive and removing the internal 160GB drive
> from the picture all together (~$110 external USB)
> 4. buying a big fat internal/external drive to add to my DVD storage to
> replacing a 320GB drive I already have in there, and reuse the 320GB
> drive in place of the 160GB drive for recordings. (~$110 and some drive
> shifting)
> 5. Upgrade to SVN for storage groups and just add the to the 160GB I
> have still in the box to the mix. (no expense and easier/safer, but
> running bleeding edge)
>
> Of course, I am trying to balance being cost-conscious with
> effectiveness.  In other words, while I would love to buy the $740US 2TB
> Raid array (with controller) but, my other half would probably have a
> coronary.
>
> Right now, all of my recordings are SD.  I expect that in the next
> couple of months, I will get an HDHomeRun and start recording stuff in HD.
>
> I'm torn, but I will probably just add the 160GB I have to the LVM and
> live with it for now.  However, it all brought up the question about
> performance with MythTV: is there a major difference between using an
> internal IDE drive, an internal SATA drive, an external USB drive, and
> an external eSATA drive for recordings (not mythvideo)?  Would any of
> the differences be noticeable, or are the differences negligible?

Sorry to jump on the thread, but do you know whether Myths Storage groups
can work for music and general video as well (as apposed to just TV based
recording). Basically can storage groups be used for more than just TV
recording?

Oh and in answer to your question, personally I'd go with option 1. Reasons
why:

1. It's not going to cost you anything, so if it turns out you need even
more then you haven't wasted any money. If your not using the drive for
anything else, you might as well claint he storage for your myth box
2. System stability won't be compromised (potential problems with SVN)

At the end of the day, if you've got some storage lying around, use it...

James.