[mythtv-users] Recording storage suggestions

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Wed May 23 19:40:52 UTC 2007

On 23/05/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 05/23/2007 02:40 PM, James Buckley wrote:
> > Sorry to jump on the thread, but do you know whether Myths Storage
> > groups can work for music and general video as well (as apposed to
> > just TV based recording). Basically can storage groups be used for
> > more than just TV recording?
>
> No.  And, there's no reason they need to.  With both Music and Video,
> you can have as many directories as you like.  Therefore, just mount
> filesystems in the appropriate locations to give you as much storage as
> you need.  The only reason storage groups are so important is because
> before them, Myth required that all recordings on a backend "be" in the
> same directory (which could be worked around by keeping symlinks in the
> recordings directory).
>
> Besides, MythVideo and MythMusic are frontend plugins, so the files they
> use don't even have to be available on the backend.
>
> Mike

However, you could have this situation.

At the moment I have 2 250gb drives (with LVM combining them) that's used by
myth for TV, video and music. If I rip a couple of DVD's it cuts into the
free recording space, and vice versa. Basically all the storage is thrown
into a pot, and it's filled up with whatever I want (be it music, some
video, or recorded stuff). However if I create a storage group (instead of
the LVM), video and music are not balanced over the two drives (i.e. if one
drive's filled up it won't start on the next one). This starts to reduce the
flexibility.

It's just my setup though...

James