[mythtv-users] OSD glitch - starts as 4:3 and corrects to 16:9

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Thu May 24 10:09:26 UTC 2007

On 5/24/07, Matt Doran <matt.doran at papercut.biz> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have a 16:9 plasma TV, and when I start watching live TV (DVB) the
> following happens ... the screen goes black and the OSD appears showing
> the tuner in use and the current program details.  The OSD seems to be
> sized for a 4:3 aspect ratio (not taking up the full screen width), then
> once the tuner locks on and the picture appears, the OSD resizes to the
> full width of the screen.  All this happens within a second or so.  It
> just looks a bit ugly.

> Has anyone else seen this behaviour?  Can this be fixed with a setting
> change?   Or is this a glitch/bug in myth?

This is normal/expected.

In live tv, while waiting for tuning/pre-buffering etc, the player
injects a dummy video stream for display purposes. This stream (and
its osd) defaults to 4:3 aspect and hence is pillarboxed on your
widescreen display. As soon as the real stream comes through, the osd
is resized to match the incoming stream.

If you tune to spy sport news, for example, you won't see the switch
as the picture is transmitted in 4:3.

Regards

Mark