[mythtv-users] OSD glitch - starts as 4:3 and corrects to 16:9

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Thu May 24 10:21:13 UTC 2007

Mark Kendall wrote:
> On 5/24/07, Matt Doran <matt.doran at papercut.biz> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>> I have a 16:9 plasma TV, and when I start watching live TV (DVB) the
>> following happens ... the screen goes black and the OSD appears showing
>> the tuner in use and the current program details.  The OSD seems to be
>> sized for a 4:3 aspect ratio (not taking up the full screen width), then
>> once the tuner locks on and the picture appears, the OSD resizes to the
>> full width of the screen.  All this happens within a second or so.  It
>> just looks a bit ugly.
>>

>> Has anyone else seen this behaviour?  Can this be fixed with a setting
>> change?   Or is this a glitch/bug in myth?
>>

> This is normal/expected.
>
> In live tv, while waiting for tuning/pre-buffering etc, the player
> injects a dummy video stream for display purposes. This stream (and
> its osd) defaults to 4:3 aspect and hence is pillarboxed on your
> widescreen display. As soon as the real stream comes through, the osd
> is resized to match the incoming stream.
>
> If you tune to spy sport news, for example, you won't see the switch
> as the picture is transmitted in 4:3.

Thanks for the quick response Mark.   It would be nice if this dummy
stream would default to the aspect ratio of the screen.  I would have
thought this would be the correct most of the time.   I think the
existing behaviour lacks polish (although I am getting pretty picky!!)

I'm in Australia and all our DVB broadcasts are 16:9.  So it would be
good to have a setting or override to get 16:9 by default.

Think this is achievable?  I'd be interested in trying to build a
patch.  Do you know where this code lives? :)

Thanks,
Matt