[mythtv-users] Recording storage suggestions

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Thu May 24 12:59:15 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, Phill Wiggin <alamar at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've convinced a few friends to use Myth (they now love it), and
> helped them decide on LVM.  Now that Storage Groups are available,  I
> can't recommend LVM for Myth.  I lost a nearly full ~1TB LVM set
> because one drive decided to give up the ghost.

It sounds like you're saying LVM = RAID 0 (or concatenation).  Of
course one drive will make the entire set go away; that's what
striping or concatenation gives you.  :)  If you use LVM on top of
RAID 1 or RAID 5, it's stable and has been for a fairly long time.

LVM allows easy concatenation of 2 drives, but this is dangerous
because you're basically doubling your chances of a single drive
failure taking out your entire LVM volume group.  I would not discount
LVM based on RAID 0 or concatenation issues.  If you want redundancy
in your storage system, eat the cost of a third drive and run RAID 5.
It won't be just as fast as RAID 0, but it's plenty fast for multiple
SD and/or HD recordings at once (as shown by many others on this
list).

Just my $0.02.

/Brian/