[mythtv-users] MythTV frontend on EPIA pc?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Fri May 25 03:59:35 UTC 2007

On 05/24/2007 06:26 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Søren Dalsgaard wrote:
>
>> I was thinking of getting one of these:
>>
>> http://www.syd-data.dk/product_info.php/cPath/266_305/products_id/3315
>>
>> EPIA-EN15000G / EPIA-EN12000EG
>>
>> Does anyone have any experiences with this one?
<snip>
> The board has a VT1625 tv-out encoder chip, but a) I don't think the
> resolution of that has been published, and b) more importantly, the
> openchrome guys do not yet have the VT1625 chips entirely figured out yet.

I was able to get the VT1625 datasheet from Via a couple of years ago
and did the initial work on the component output support for it, but
stopped do to time pressures.  I sent what I had done to Ivor for
inclusion into openchrome (unichrome back then).  Since then I think
some people have added a couple of PAL modes, but I haven't seen any
real progress on the VT1625.  It chip does support 1920x1080i resolution
though.  I think where I left off was a problem with the interlace
support in via_mode.c, but I am not sure.  Here is the changelog for the
vt1625 additions: http://www.openchrome.org/trac/changeset/31in case
anyone wants to pick this up.
> OTOH, the EX series has a higher output resolution (cannot find a
> reference quickly but ISTR 1920 by 1200 on VGA...same problem with the
> tv-out encoder chip. Both the EX and EN series run variants of the
> CX700M chipset about which Via says very little in the way of actual
> technical specs.
>
> And at least one of the Nano sized boards has the same chipset..but you
> will need a mini-pci to pci adapter for the usual tuners...but ISTR that
> one of the Nano boards has 2 LAN jacks, so an HDHomeRun would work
> nicely. (Presuming that the board otherwise meets requirements and you
> do not need a PCI based tuner plug into it!)

Don't need a PCI based tuner.  There are plenty of USB based ones out
there that work with Linux and Mythtv (PVR-USB2 for SDTV, FusionHDTV 5
USB for HDTV, and others)

--
David