[mythtv-users] Any benefit of additional backends?

Jake Vickers jake at v2gnu.com
Sun May 27 01:58:06 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 26/05/07, Jake Vickers <jake at v2gnu.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a P4, 2.4G Celeron backend, with 1G of RAM, a 160G HD, a PVR-150,
>> and a PVR-500.
>> One of my frontends is a Via MII-10000 with a 60G HD. Would there be any
>> benefit in making this unit a combo fe/be unit, or would it give me
>> issues with watching TV? Mainly asking out of curiosity rather than any
>> need of anything.
>>

> Do you do a lot of commflagging or have load/DMA problems when all 3
> cards are recording at the same time on your current backend? If not,
> I'd recommend keeping your setup as it is. Keeping your capture cards
> on a machine that is 'always up' (or has a high uptime) seems more
> sensible that scheduling recordings on a slave machine that might not
> be online when a recording needs to be made.
>
> I have a slave backend with a capture card used almost entirely for
> LiveTV - the master backend takes care of almost 100% of our scheduled
> recordings, so it doesn't matter that the slave machine is almost
> always turned off (plus I do not use commflagging).
>
> Remember, if it's working, you can probably still break it.

No, I don't get any DMA probs as of yet. The moon isn't full yet though.
Just wondering if there would be any additional benefit or not. The
frontends are on all the time as well, and I don't do that much
commercial flagging. I record maybe 14-18 shows a week total, all spread
throughout the day. While these do get comm flagged, that job is usually
done 15 minutes or so after the recording.
It's working now - just wanted to know if I should turn the volume up to
11 or not.