[mythtv-users] HIPER HMC-2K53A as MythTv Frontend?

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Mon May 28 04:18:45 UTC 2007

On 5/27/07 6:25 PM, "Dale" <d-larson at wi.rr.com> wrote:

> Has anybody tried this machine for a MythTv frontend? It looks just like
> what the doctor ordered!
>
> http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hmc-2k53a.html

I have one and my friend has one. It is a nice box, but not much support for
linux on the VFD / Buttons. My friend is returning his. We both left
negative reviews as far as using it for Linux. There is a usb port 3 error
that is constantly flooding the syslog and console to the point where it is
not very usable. There is no support for the VFD, hipergroup responded to my
email asking for some chip details so *I* could write a driver. They
responded saying there is no linux support and don't plan on any. Kind of a
turn off. The component output works, but has a lot of overscan and is not
currently correctable using the Nvidia drivers. DVI and VGA to Component
work ok. Nice box overall. You might want to wait some more before getting
one.

- James