[mythtv-users] HDMI & the elimination of customised modelines for 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Tue May 29 16:31:47 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Recently I read the 'Configuring HDTV' wiki article at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_HDTV#NVIDIA . It
mentions the fact that the information on the 'ComponentOut' article
is now no longer relevant to just component, but HDMI also.

Heres the excerpt:

[QUOTE]
Additionally, it is worth noting that nVidia has made some changes to
their driver to eliminate the need for customized ModeLines for the
popular formats (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p). Check out the
ComponentOut (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ComponentOut) wiki
entry for more information. The settings listed on that page are no
longer specific to Component Output, as they can be applied to HDMI
interfaces as well (for those using DVI to HDMI connections). Be sure
to check your display (television set) manual to see what it supports
and how.
[/QUOTE]

However I can't find any other references to back this up, and the
component wiki entry hasn't been edited to point this out. Looking at
the page's history, the info was added on 12 April 2007, by a guy
named Wesnoc, however he doesn't have a wiki page, so I can't contact
him.

I was wondering whether anyone had any further info on this: whether
it's true, a site reference, or just what settings from the
ComponentOut wiki ARE relevant (i.e. how to set up HDMI without a
custom modeline).

I've tried searching google, but most results are related either to
component, or using a custom modeline. I'm probably just being stupid,
but can anyone supply any info.

Thanks, James