[mythtv-users] Deinterlace stopped working in latest SVN trunk

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Thu May 31 05:17:11 UTC 2007

Brad Templeton wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 05:21:38PM +1000, Matt Doran wrote:
>
>> Brad Templeton wrote:
>>
>>> I decided to upgrade to the lastest SVN trunk after about 6 months
>>> from the last one (also a .21 but protocol 32) and now I find
>>> my deinterlace is not operating, no matter whether I set it to bob,
>>> linear blend or kernel.   It was bob before and worked.  No error message
>>> (on the system in question) about not having enough framerate for bob,
>>> or any other diagnostic.
>>>
>>> This is on 1080i content being sent to a 720p screen.
>>>
>>> Don't see anything about deinterlace in the change logs -- did something
>>> change recently regarding this?
>>>

>> I recently got this working.  It's a bit tricky.  I don't know what has
>> changed, because I've only tried to get bob working since using trunk.
>>
>> It's worth running your frontend with verbose playback logging (e.g.
>> mythfrontend -v playback).  This should give you information about why
>> bob deinterlacing isn't working.
>>

> It's all deinterlacing.   Debug tracks indicate Myth is getting
> confused by the streams (which I think are ordinary) and deciding
> there are progressive frames in the middle and turns off the deinterlacer.

I wonder if this is telecining.  I'm not expert, but when I had a DVD
that was incorrectly detecting progressive scan, someone suggested
adding the inverse telecine filter.  I'm not sure if this happens in
broadcasts, but you can give it a try.

Just add "ivtc" to your custom filters in Setup->TV->Playback.