[mythtv-users] xscreensaver, ubuntu packages

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Thu May 31 16:00:51 UTC 2007

mintywalker at gmail wrote:

>  Has anyone had any luck with getting xscreensaver working with the
> ubuntu mythtv packages?

Murray,

I've got xscreensaver working on four MythTV-on-FeistyFawn systems.

Here is how I have mine setup.

First, I disabled the gnome screensaver.  I did so thru the menus:
System -> Preferences -> Screensaver.  Just unclick the "Activate
screensaver when computer is idle" checkbox.

Next, I installed all of the xscreeensaver packages: xscreensaver,
xscreensaver-data, xscreensaver-data-extra, xscreensaver-gl,
xscreensaver-gl-extra.

Then I ran xscreensaver-demo.  Initially, I started the daemon
manually.  Then, I configured xscreensaver the way I wanted.  When I
was done, I exited and left the daemon running.

I restarted mythfrontend and verified that everything worked properly.

Finally, to automate the loading of xscreensaver at boot time, I
opened the Gnome sessions manager via the menus: System -> Preferences
-> Sessions.  Under the Startup Programs tab, I created a new entry
containing the command "xscreensaver".

I also automatically load mythfrontend in this manner.  When I restart
Gnome, even though the programs are listed alphabetically in the
Sessions Manager, it loads xscreensaver first.  I don't know why or
how, but it works fine for me.

Good luck.

Tom