[mythtv-users] VERY OT: Going to Linux.

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:31:51 UTC 2007

> Depending on what city you live in and how large it is you may want to
> search for your local LUG. That's Linus Users Group, most of these groups
> have a mailing list they help each other with wide variety of problems, and
> in the bigger cities they have 'install parties' where geeks get together
> with hardware and install linux on it.

Do you know where I can find a list of LUG's and find out if there is one in
the Albany, NY area?

 Use OpenOffice.org to get away from Office, ever since 2.0 I have had no
> problems cross saving files between MS and OOo. <snip>

I will try out the new version of OOo, and maybe convince the wife, but
we'll see.

 I ran WoW briefly in Cedega, performance was kind of "meh" for me. I've
> heard reports that straight wine actually runs it better than Cedega, but
> IMHO nothing will run it at as smoothly as Windows. Also every now and then
> a patch from Blizzard will break something with wine, causing you to spend
> the next day or two surfing some forums to get a fix for it. You'd probably
> be happier dual booting for games.

that's my issue here.  Since having a baby i really dont' spend too much
time on the computer, or anything else for that matter.  As it is my xbox
360 is collecting dust (waited in line, found out we were pregnant 3 weeks
later, waste of money).  So when I do get on a computer, it usually is to
play WoW.  Don't want to buy Vista at all, so was trying to ease myself into
Linux and get off from my dependence on Windows.

<snip>

Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell