[mythtv-users] What can be done about a USA cable provider encrypting local channels?

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Thu May 31 20:40:40 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> Recently Comcast took over our cable system and now they have decided to
> encrypt all the local channels which really sucks since I am too far
> away from the transmitters to get them as OTA. What can I do about it? I
> know from past experience they are going to play dumb and deny, deny,
> deny... (It took 20+ calls to get them to fix the intermittent cable
> issue down the road that was causing dropouts)
>
>  I would love to find a class action law suite to bring on them however
> I doubt thats going to be an option. Thoughts or suggestions? I am about
> ready to put my HDHR up for sale and say FUG IT!
>
> TIA,
> Bill

Follow up to my original post. I contacted the general manager of 2 of
the local stations and informed him that ComCrap was encrypting their HD
channels. He was very surprised to hear it and surprise, surprise.....
Two days later all the locals are in the clear again. :)

You just have to figure out which button to push .

Bill