[mythtv-users] Migrating RAID

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Nov 1 03:37:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 07:22:08PM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:
> I am bringing up a new server which will have 6x400GB SATA drives for
> data.  I plan to allocate all of it to myth.  The OS lives on SCSI drives.
>
> Currently I have 2 empty 400 GB drives in the new server and 4 - 400 GB
> drives in the old server, with about 800GB of myth stuff I want to
> keep.  I plan to use the 4 drives from the old server in the new server.
>
> I have a 1TB backup server that currently has all of my myth stuff.
>
> I'm trying to think of some way to migrate this while learning about mdadm:
>
> 1. Remove one drive from the old server
> 2. Build a RAID-5 array on the new server with 800 GB storage with 3 drives
> 3. Copy all of the myth stuff from the old server to the new server.
> 4. Remove the rest of the drives and install in the new server
> 5. Grow the new array to its full capacity of 2 TB
>
> The backup server is untouched so if it all craps out I have a backup.
>
> Any thoughts?  Is it doable?  Practical? Suicidal?  (It is halloween...
> And the ghosts of computers long dead roam the ether....)

Well, you *know* what my answer is going to be here, right?

SuperDLT 220 and LTO-1 tape drives and tape are quite a bit cheaper
than you think, until you look.

Grab the trial version of BackupEdge, backup to tape.  Change drives;
build arrays; restore.

Sure, it's not as much *fun*.

But they don't pay me to have fun.  :-)

Cheers,