[mythtv-users] Migrating RAID

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Nov 1 03:46:34 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 07:22:08PM -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> I am bringing up a new server which will have 6x400GB SATA drives for
>> data.  I plan to allocate all of it to myth.  The OS lives on SCSI drives.
>>
>> Currently I have 2 empty 400 GB drives in the new server and 4 - 400 GB
>> drives in the old server, with about 800GB of myth stuff I want to
>> keep.  I plan to use the 4 drives from the old server in the new server.
>>
>> I have a 1TB backup server that currently has all of my myth stuff.
>>
>> I'm trying to think of some way to migrate this while learning about mdadm:
>>
>> 1. Remove one drive from the old server
>> 2. Build a RAID-5 array on the new server with 800 GB storage with 3 drives
>> 3. Copy all of the myth stuff from the old server to the new server.
>> 4. Remove the rest of the drives and install in the new server
>> 5. Grow the new array to its full capacity of 2 TB
>>
>> The backup server is untouched so if it all craps out I have a backup.
>>
>> Any thoughts?  Is it doable?  Practical? Suicidal?  (It is halloween...
>> And the ghosts of computers long dead roam the ether....)
>>

> Well, you *know* what my answer is going to be here, right?
>
> SuperDLT 220 and LTO-1 tape drives and tape are quite a bit cheaper
> than you think, until you look.
>
> Grab the trial version of BackupEdge, backup to tape.  Change drives;
> build arrays; restore.

Well, I have a VXA-1 tape drive.  But I don't want to go through the
pain of backing up nearly 1TB 70 MB at a time....

But I am looking for fun and challenge.

--Yan

--
  o__

Linux stuff has made big progress over the competition. When things sit and don't start right away, we have a watch, and those poor guys have to settle for an hourglass.