[mythtv-users] Migrating RAID

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Nov 1 12:14:42 UTC 2007

Richard Freeman wrote:

> The plan he proposed is reasonable, although reshaping arrays is a bit
> slow and perhaps a little risky (it is completely safe in theory, but
> probably not as well tested as the other features of software raid).
> One thing he can do to save himself a little time (assuming he has a
> backup) is to create his initial raid-5 in degraded mode (make it a
> 4-drive array missing a drive instead of a complete 3-drive array) - so
> that he has 1.2TB of space but no redundancy.  He'll be closer to his
> destination that way.  If he loses a drive during the migration he will
> lose everything (so this is really a good idea only if he already has a
> backup).  Either way he needs to reshape his array.
>
> However, all this talk about backups brings up a question.  If a backup
> for all this data already exists, why not just build an array with all 6
> drives and restore the data from the backup?  Or do we intend to do all
> this between recording shows during prime time?  :)

Well, part of the motivation is "because I can"... :-)

But it's also because I'd like to test just how robust 'growing an
array' really is.

You can supposedly grow an array while it's live.

--Yan

--
  o__

Linux stuff has made big progress over the competition. When things sit and don't start right away, we have a watch, and those poor guys have to settle for an hourglass.