[mythtv-users] Migrating RAID

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 14:09:06 UTC 2007

> Uh, the tapes alone are about as expensive as hard drives of equivalent
> size - the drives cost a fortune unless you have a link to somebody
> selling one for $100.

I saw a lot LTO1 drives in a quick eBay search for under $300. And the
media is $30 at newegg for a 100GB native tape. I know Newegg is not
the cheapest for LTO2 media so I assume someone can get these LTO1
tapes cheaper somewhere else.

> And it sounds like he ALREADY has a backup.  I'm
> all for reasonable levels of redundancy (that's why I use raid in the
> first place), but I don't need to guard my TV shows with the same fervor
> that I guard corporate databases at work.

Exactly.  I have my mythtv OS on raid5 while my videos are on
independent disks. And sure if one drive goes bad I will loose about
300GB of recordings but I can live with that. At work where I need to
store medical images I have every thing that is important on raid6 and
backed up on tape at least in triplicate and some times on more than 1
type of tape drive type (LTO2 and DLT).

> Unless he REALLY needs
> regular offsite backups he'd be better off just buying a few more hard
> drives to use to transfer the data in one operation and then have a LOT
> of extra storage when he is done.

This is probably the easiest approach. One or two more drives could
surely help a lot.

John