[mythtv-users] Comments on backend replacement

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 15:48:27 UTC 2007

On 11/1/07, Christopher X. Candreva <chris at westnet.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Bill Omer wrote:
>
> > The server is a proliant 6400, quad xeon 500Mhz with 4 gigs of ram and
> > four hard drives of unknown size in a raid 5.  Will it even be worth
> > jumping to a quad cpu machine with procs more than half the speed of the
> > backend I'm replacing?  I suppose it will help with comflagging and
>
> I doubt it. It will likely use more power for less performance.

It would be able to handle four jobs at once, with each job running a
little slower than they would if they were ran in series on my
previous machine.  It would use more power though, thats obvious.  But
with four gigs of ram and quad procs, I'm incline to believe it would
be a benefit.  I'm just worried about io wait.

But for $100, it's a hard deal to pass up.