[mythtv-users] Comments on backent replacment

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Thu Nov 1 16:36:14 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 10:07:28AM -0400, Bill Omer wrote:
> I'm thinking about replacing my current athlon 1.2ghz back end system
> with a server I found on craigslist.  Here's my idea, tell me what you
> think.
>
> The server is a proliant 6400, quad xeon 500Mhz with 4 gigs of ram and
> four hard drives of unknown size in a raid 5.  Will it even be worth
> jumping to a quad cpu machine with procs more than half the speed of
> the backend I'm replacing?  I suppose it will help with comflagging
> and transcoding, but then what about storage?

Consider that my combo fe/be, an Athlon 3500+, can encode 1080i broadcast
down to 720x480 MPEG4 in approximately realtime.

You could get an AM2, built-in 6100 motherboard for $50.
For another $55, AMD Athlon 64 4000+.
And $50 more buys you 2GB of RAM.

Don't spend $100 on a random old machine; spend $150-170 making
your current machine much, much faster.

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.
Tyranny is something that creeps up on you.

http://tao.merseine.nu:81/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.