[mythtv-users] myth2ipod or nuvexport - for ipod high-res video output

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Nov 1 17:09:35 UTC 2007

Jeff Simpson wrote:
> I just bought an iFlip. It's basically an 8.5" LCD screen and a 5 hour
> battery for the iPod video. the 320x240 videos look like crap on it,
> so I wanted to kick it up a notch and start encoding them as higher
> quality (I know it must be possible, since the iPod can output to a
> TV).

Here are nuvexportrc settings/profile that will produce high-res ipod
exports:

<ffmpeg::MP4>

    mp4_codec = h264

    noise_reduction = no
    deinterlace     = yes
    multipass       = yes
    v_bitrate       = 768
    a_bitrate       = 128

    width        = 528
    height       = 480

    mp4_fps = auto

</ffmpeg::MP4>

<profile::goodeats>

    title       = good eats

    export_prog = ffmpeg
    mode        = mp4

    crop_pct    = 0
    crop_top    = 1
    crop_right  = 1
    crop_left   = 1

    width        = 528
    height       = 480

</profile::goodeats>

Then I can just use `nuvexport --profile goodeats` and all of my good
eats episodes show up in my target directory as mp4 files, ready to dump
into my ipod.

The wacky res is due to the fact that I'm pulling SD off of firewire,
and that's the res that the file comes in on (other shows are even
stranger, like 352x480)

-Chris