[mythtv-users] Question about NAS's

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Nov 1 17:24:13 UTC 2007

On Nov 1, 2007, at 8:30 AM, David Frascone wrote:

> I bought a cheap NAS a few months ago to store MP3's and videos on.
> 500Gb for
> < $200 (SimpleShare)
>
> Well -- it's not Vista or Mac OS X compatible.  Although, it does
> work fine
> under linux.
>
> So -- my question:  Can you guys recommend an inexpensive NAS so I
> can upgrade
> my storage w/o buying more fancy SCSI raid disks?  Something fast
> enough to
> accept a couple of streams from either HDHomeRuns and/or a linux box
> via NFS
> (PVR-500 streams)?
>
> -Dave

I just bought a LaCie 1.5TB Ethernet Big Disk for $500. It's got
gigabit and supports Windows, Mac, Linux. The file system is XFS so it
handles video well. It also has a USB port on it that you can expand
with another regular external USB drive. It comes right up as another
share and supports many different disk formats.

My only real complaint is that you can't seem to reformat as a
different file system. You're stuck with XFS even if it isn't optimal
for you. Oh, and although the user management is ok, I can't seem to
limit usage to specific accounts.