[mythtv-users] UPnP in MythTV 0.20.2

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 19:56:42 UTC 2007

All I know is that I wish I never bought my DSM-520.  It claims it will do
HD, but I've never tried it (I don't have any HD tv's so that's not an issue
for me). It wouldn't work with my wireless network (or at least not
reliably).  I ran a hard line, and it works fine when it works.  I had the
system running well for a while, and then a firmware update made files that
worked before the update no longer work.  It's sketchy depending on what
UPnP server you use.  I used twonkymedia (until the trial period lapsed) and
it worked fairly well.  twonky was sketchy though, and I wasn't about to pay
$40 for sketchy open source software, so I moved on to uShare.  This worked
fairly well.  Very simple CLI, and the only issue was that my .mp4 movies
were delivered to my DSM-520 as audio files.  I changed the file extension
to .mov and they worked fine.  I then got my MythTV setup working.  This has
mixed results when working with my DSM-520.  The DSM-520 is quite sensitive
to file formats.  It will not play certain encodings.  To maintain
compatibility with my DSM-520, I had to turn transcoding off.  Also, when I
try to play .mp4 files, I get a message that the file type is not
supported.  Since I've played the same files on the unit, and the only thing
that changed was the UPnP server (MythTV) I know that is not an issue with
the DSM-520, but it is a compatibility issue with Myth.

My DSM-520 cost almost $200 (about a year ago), and my latest myth frontend
cost me $150 (to buy an old 1.6ghz P4 IBM Netvista, Geforce fx5200, and 1
gig of ram).  I am much MUCH happier with a real myth frontend compared to
my DSM-520.  I would advise anyone looking at a DSM-XXX to use with a myth
system to avoid it and to simply build a "real" myth frontend.

But that's just my $.02