[mythtv-users] Move to LiveTv group instead of deleting

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Nov 1 21:47:20 UTC 2007

On Nov 1, 2007, at 2:16 PM, Michael Rice wrote:

> On 11/1/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> There is an option when using latest code from svn head to
>> automatically move the recordings to a Deleted group which is then
>> expired before the others.
>
> I tried the moving to Deleted group feature for awhile but found I
> didn't like it.  With this option enabled your recording disks
> completely fill up and the autoexpirer removes recordings almost every
> time you record something new.  I'm used to frequently checking the
> free space on my disks and if I am running low check the autoexpire
> list to make sure the correct stuff will be deleted.  With this
> feature enabled the deleted shows are always on the expire list and
> it's hard to tell when or if a show I care about will autoexpire.
> It's an uncomfortable feeling to see expire messages for your wife's
> favorite shows...

If you REALLY want it to be gone immediately and not wait for your
drive to fill up to expire, you can go into the delete group and
delete it again.

> I also noticed it doesn't expire the deleted shows in the order I put
> them in there.  It seems to delete the shows you put in there recently
> and leaves the really old stuff in there the longest (or maybe it is
> random.. not sure).  It seems it should really work the opposite of
> that.  I am more likely to want to recover a recording I deleted
> recently than one from three months ago.

How about not putting something in there unless you want and expect it
to be gone immediately? Deleted group is meant as a place to recover
something immediately after you realize you deleted it. Not a place to
store something in hopes you will get it back at a later time.