[mythtv-users] Play Myth recordings on a Windows box

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 21:51:40 UTC 2007

On 01/11/2007, Bruce Nordstrand <brucen at ksl.com.au> wrote:

> Howdy all
>
> I have just completed a mythrename of all my recordings and shared the
> directory via Samba. My wife wants to play them on her Windows machine
> while the TV is in use doing other things. But Media Player is saying
> that it can't play them. They all have .mpg extensions. Does anyone know
> what codec I need to install on Windows to get the Myth recordings to
> play in Windows Media Player?
>
> Cheers
> Bruce

Myth recordings are usually one of three types, mpeg2 from a hardware
capture card, mp4 (divx/xvid) or rtjpeg from a software capture card. Divx
and xvid is fairly easy to sort.

for Mpeg2 recordings I have found that the best approach is to ignore
Windows media player. Download a media player called smplayer, which is a
nicely packaged up version of Mplayer, and associate the file type with the
player so that you can double-click the file from Windows Explorer. Even
easy, and most like a proper front end for windows is mythtvplayer, as it
has a recordings window so you can view the data, and play and delete
recordings. Also when you exit the recording part way through it will write
the save position back to the myth box, so that if you resume playback, it
will pick up from where you left off.

I watch 98% of the programmes I record using mythtvplayer, and whilst not
perfect, it does a mighty fine job.

regards

Gary